My Shopping List
Southwestern Beef Roast with Spicy Salsa Verde
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 55 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 beef top sirloin petite roast (1-1/2 to 2 lb.)
+ 2 tsp. ground cumin
+ 1-1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
+ 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
+ 12 oz. tomatillos (5-8 medium), husks removed, rinsed
+ 1 small white onion, cut in half, root ends left intact
+ 1 jalapeño pepper
+ 1 Tbsp. olive oil
+ 1/2 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro
+ 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
+ 1 clove garlic, minced
+ 1 tsp. sugar
+ 3/4 tsp. salt
What to do:
1. Prepare grill for indirect cooking by igniting equal number of charcoal briquets on each side of fire grate, leaving space in center. When coals are medium and ash-covered (25-30 min.), add 3-4 more briquets to each side. Place aluminum foil drip pan in center of grate between coals. Position grid with handles over coals so briquets may be added during grilling as needed.
2. Combine cumin, black pepper and coriander; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Brush tomatillos, onion and jalapeño pepper with oil.
3. Place roast in center of grid over drip pan; arrange vegetables around roast over coals. Grill roast, covered, 40-55 min. for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. (Add 3-4 briquets per side every 30 min. to maintain heat level.) Grill tomatillos and jalapeño pepper 11- 13 min. or until skin of pepper is completely blackened and tomatillos are tender. Grill onion 18-20 min. or until tender and browned, turning occasionally. Place pepper in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Let stand 5 min.
4. Remove roast when instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of beef, not resting in fat, registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10-15 min. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
5. Meanwhile, prepare Salsa. Remove and discard skin, stem and seeds from jalapeño pepper and root ends from onion halves. Place pepper, onion, tomatillos, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, sugar and salt in food processor container. Cover; pulse on and off until coarsely chopped and well combined. Set aside.
6. Carve roast into thin slices; season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Serve with salsa.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 189; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 73mg; Total Carbs: 5g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 25g; Sodium: 293mg;