My Shopping List
BBQ Ribs with Spicy Girls' Rub and Mop Sauce
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Serve With:Servings: 8
Fresh sliced tomatoes, grilled potatoes and sliced icy cold watermelon.
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 2 Hr.
Marinate: 30 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3 racks pork baby back ribs (about 1 1/2 lbs. each)
+ 3 c. hickory or apple wood chips
+ vegetable oil for brushing
SPICY GIRLS' DRY RUB:
+ 1/4 c. kosher salt
+ 2 Tbsp. coarsely ground pepper
+ 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
+ 3 Tbsp. ground cumin
+ 2 Tbsp. paprika
+ 2 Tbsp. dried thyme
+ 2 Tbsp. chili powder
+ 1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
HICKORY BARBECUE MOP SAUCE:
+ 2 c. store-bought hickory barbecue sauce
+ 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
+ 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
+ 2 Tbsp. dark molasses
What to do:
1. To make Spicy Girls' Dry Rub, in medium bowl combine all ingredients for the rub and stir well to blend.
2. Place ribs flat in a non-reactive roasting pan. Using 3/4 c. of the rub, sprinkle over both sides of each rack and rub in lightly. Set aside.
3. Soak wood chips in cold water to cover for at least 30 min. Set up grill for indirect cooking. Prepare a medium fire in a charcoal grill or preheat one side of a gas or electric grill on medium. Drain chips and sprinkle half over the coals or place half in the grill's smoker box. Place a disposable foil pan under the grate to catch drippings. Brush grill grate with vegetable oil.
4. Arrange ribs, meaty-side down, on the side of the grill without hot coals. Cover the grill and smoke-cook the ribs for 45 min. Turn ribs and add remaining wood chips. Cover and grill for another 45 min.
5. While ribs are grill-smoking, make Hickory Barbecue Mop Sauce. Combine store-bought hickory barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup and molasses in a bowl. Stir well to combine.
6. When the ribs have cooked for a total of 1-1/2 hrs. brush the ribs generously with the mop sauce. Using long-handled tongs, slide the ribs onto the grate directly over the hot coals. Grill, uncovered, 5 min. Turn the ribs over, baste again, and grill another 5 min. Cut between the bones, slicing the racks into individual ribs. Serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 830; Total Fat: 65g; Saturated Fat: 23g; Cholesterol: 205mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 43g; Sodium: 1120mg;